Monday, April 15, 2013

The Closed New Testament Canon

Greetings, readers! This is a research paper that I had to write for my one class at Eternity Bible College. In the paper, I discuss how the New Testament was formed and why no more Scripture can be added. Here are some of my thoughts having finished the paper:

Firstly, seeing the formation of the New Testament in the context of redemptive history was huge for me. God was clearly building up to the Messiah, Jesus. Revealing more Scripture after the apostolic writings would undermine the centrality of Christ in redemptive history.

Secondly, the truth that the Word became flesh struck me afresh (John 1:14). God has always desired to be in relationship with people. He entered into a covenant relationship with his chosen people in the Old Testament; and when they broke that covenant, he sends his Son. He sends his Word made flesh. The ultimate way that God communicated to mankind was to send his Word in human form, who then gave the apostles the authority to teach and write about Christ.

So with that said, here is the paper. I'm sure that it is not the best paper you'll ever read, but I hope it helps show the early church history of the formation of the New Testament and show why no more Scripture can be given.

The Closed New Testament Canon



1 comment:

  1. very thought-provoking, Samuel! I enjoyed reading your paper and seeing put into words why the new testament is closed, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete