Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Blessed To Be A Blessing

Having returned from an amazing first semester at Eternity Bible College, I am overwhelmed with God's grace and blessings. John 1:16 has become one of my favorite verses: "From the fulness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another" (NIV).  In looking back at the ways God provided for me, sustained me, and gave me joy in serving, God's blessings can be clearly seen.

 A major truth I have learned during my time at EBC is that God's people are blessed to be a blessing. God tells Abraham in Genesis 12:2, "And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing" (ESV).  Throughout the biblical history of God's chosen nation Israel, this verse was their main calling. God blessed Israel so that other nations would know that God is LORD. This calling continues from the Old Testament into the New Testament; followers of Jesus have been transformed by a relationship with God for the purpose of making His name known to others (Ezekiel 36:22ff, 2 Corinthians 5:17-21).

One of the greatest parts of my first semester at EBC was being able to live out this calling and have this mindset of being blessed to be a blessing in a secular workplace. During my time working at a McDonalds in Simi, I prayed that God would bless my work so that I would be a blessing to the restaurant.  And that prayer was answered.  I continually had a joy while working there because I knew I was serving God and being a blessing to those around me.  This mindset is completely strange to those who don't know God, but it is completely in agreement with biblical truth.

Looking ahead, I still do not know what I will be doing after my time at Eternity Bible College. However, I do know that I am where God wants me, that God is gracious and that he is blessing me to be a blessing. Being able to live this calling out during the past few months was amazing, fulfilling, and life-giving.  As I continue to learn at EBC, I know that this season in life will be preparation for a life characterized by being blessed to be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment